This is a catch up post, as it is another unit of Napoleonic cavalry I recently completed. I have to say straight out the combination of painting Black and these being Perry figures really got up my nose a little.
Black I find to be a very awkward colour to paint, so often I see black ending up with shades of grey as highlights resulting in what looks to me to be some kind of ghost effect and not very realistic.
So I tried to work it in a different way, using washes in black and blue to knock the figures back between each highlight. I think this gives them a more balanced look but hey what do I really know. I also worked from the black just adding touches of yellow to work up the highlights.